Information and Communication Technology
Welcome to the National Institute of Design, Assam where innovation meets education. In today’s digital age, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) plays a pivotal role in enhancing the learning experience. Our institute is committed to provide students with state- of-the-art ICT facilities that empower them to excel academically, foster creativity, and prepare for the challenges of the modern world. The IT-Cell of NID Assam continues to provide improved, efficient, and effective computational, network infrastructural facilities and IT services to NID Assam community. These facilities are constantly upgraded to meet the evolving standards of the Institute. Among the various responsibilities that the cell shoulders, its primary responsibility is to cater to the common IT related needs/support of the students, faculty, staff and its stakeholders.
- Network: At NID Assam, we understand that seamless internet connectivity is essential for academic and administrative work, collaboration, and online learning. The Institute has 1 Gbps leased line NKN Internet connectivity. It has high end networking devices for reliable and secure internet access throughout the campus. Our students can access online resources, participate in virtual classes, and conduct research without any disruptions.
- Wi-Fi: The institute has a controller-based campus-enabled Wi-Fi with high-speed NKN internet connections to help students propel their learning. The internet facility is accessible to the faculty members, staff and students anywhere-anytime 24*7*365 basis. The coverage of Wi-Fi is not only restricted to classrooms or office areas but also extends to all the areas including library, Auditorium, cafeteria, and hostels. Consistent data speed throughout the campus adds to uninterrupted resource accessibility. The students can keep pace with e-learning and browsing web-based applications for preparing projects & research papers through secured Wi-Fi authentication approach.
- Automated Library: In an era where information is abundant, our digital library stands out as a beacon of knowledge. With an extensive collection of e-books, journals, and multimedia resources, students have access to a vast repository of information that aids in accomplishing their project work and self-directed learning. The library is fully equipped with desktop computers, high-end scanner, printers etc. for supporting the library digitisation with continuous upgradations and technology adoptions. The Institute subscribes to a wide range of digital libraries and e-resources, granting students access to an extensive collection of academic journals, e-books, and research databases. Our digital resources empower students to conduct in-depth research and stay updated with the latest developments in their fields of study.
- IT Labs: The institute has a well-designed IT lab equipped with high end workstations, Projection TV, Wacom-Cintiq devices with high-speed Internet connection which are used by students and faculty for their learning enhancement, course modules along with other academic and research activities.
- Other Labs:
i). Digital Media Lab: The Institute has a fully equipped digital media lab with the latest configuration of iMacs system (16 no’s) used extensively for communication and 3D design classes.
ii). XR (Extended Reality Lab): An Extended Reality (XR) lab, which encompasses Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Mixed Reality (MR) is an initiative of Interdisciplinary studies requirement specification. The lab is installed with the latest setup to cater to the evolving requirements of realistic, risk-free simulations allowing students to interact with complex subjects, historical events, or scientific concepts in a more engaging way.
- Video Conferencing: The Institute has a well-furnished and spacious board room for conducting offline and online video conferencing meetings. It is equipped with 360 degree PTZ camera, 65″inch LED TV and omnidirectional microphone etc.
- Auditorium: The Institute has a space designated to accommodate a large audience for various purposes, including performances, lectures, presentations, conferences, seminars, and other events. It has a well-equipped seating arrangement fully air conditioned, a stage with digital podiums, mixer based lighting and sound systems, projection screens and display monitors.
- CCTV surveillance: CCTV cameras play a crucial role in enhancing security and safety within an educational institute. NID Assam campus is equipped with a mix of Internet Protocol (IP) and analog cameras installed across the campus and the footage is constantly recorded and monitored by the Security department 24*7*365.
- Lecture Hall: The Institute has three lecture halls with a total seating capacity of 180 (60 in each room). The room is equipped with short throw projectors, power podium, remote controlled display screen, surround speakers etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Avail Internet Facility: All the systems and labs are connected to a high speed internet connection. Users are required to fill the Internet Access form and submit to IT Cell for availing the facility. Apply
- Avail Email Facility: An institute email is provided to all the students, faculty and staff members for official and academic communication. The email account is issued by IT Cell after submission of online email account form. Any account related issues (viz. unable to access, storage, spams) may be reported online through online IT Complaint Booking System. Apply
- Issue/Return of Assets: The IT Cell issues various assets viz. DSLR digital cameras & stand, mixer-operated speakers, projectors, Laptop, studio and photography lights etc. to NID Assam students and faculty members for conducting practical classes and online activities. In addition to this, IT Cell also issues Desktop/laptop with licensed application software for official and academic work. Users are required to submit the online form. In case there is technical issue with online platform, offline forms can be filled and submitted to IT Cell. Apply
- IT/Digital Media Lab booking: The labs can be booked by faculty members by filling the online form available in the intranet portal. Apply
- Software / hardware related queries: The IT Cell is in charge for installation of licensed software in various labs and users system depending on the course and work requirements. Installation of cracked versions is strictly prohibited. Any new software requirement, activation or troubleshooting, hardware issues etc. may be reported to IT Cell by creating an online ticket (IT complaint Booking). In addition, you may also reach IT Cell at tcell(at)nidj(dot)ac(dot)in or call intercom 276 (Ext) for assistance from the support team.
Note: Online / offline forms will be accessible only within the Institute Intranet network.
Do’s and Don’ts
Online security, also known as cybersecurity, refers to the practice of protecting computer systems, networks, and data from theft, damage, or unauthorized access. It encompasses a wide range of measures and technologies designed to safeguard the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of digital information. One can safeguard their data and confidential information from online frauds and scams by following the Do’s and Don’ts.
In News – Cyber Security, Attacks & Crimes
before reporting to IT Cell
- If your system is not powering ON, please check the power cable or adaptor connected to the system it may be loose or the cable may be damaged. Remove and re-plug it at both ends. One end is in your computer and other is in the wall jack. If the system is powering ON but still not booting, it could be due to a hardware fault or OS issue. Also remove any bootable flash drive if it is connected.
- Sometimes you may encounter software activation issues. Use the email ID and password provided to you by the Institute for reactivation. If you are still unable to activate, please seek assistance from the technical team.
- If your monitor display goes blank or laptop goes to sleep mode after idle period you can change the settings in the power option from control panel to overcome the issue.
- Network issues may be encountered due to various factors such as cable connectivity, network card or drivers issue, signal strength, mis-configuration, traffic overload etc.
- Connect your devices through UPS line only for constant power and to safeguard systems from fluctuation and damage.
- If your system is connected through Ethernet cable check to see the port or interface LED’s are glowing or not. You can try reconnecting the cable. You may also check if the LAN icon in the taskbar is marked as cross (Windows OS). If the icon is marked as exclamation/ globe symbol right click on it and click on troubleshoot problems doing so can resolve the issue most of the time if the system did not get a valid IP address.
- Connect only to the Institute wifi network ConnectNIDJ for secure and reliable connection. If you are not able to connect please check your network card driver is installed and the wifi signal strength is good. Try running network diagnostics or reset the network adaptor to see if it resolves. Also try updating the operating system to its latest version or patches release as this could also be the cause of issue restricting users to connect to the WiFi network.
Report IT Cell with the nature and description of issue faced for resolution (Create Ticket)
Cyber Security & Awareness E-Newsletter
The Institute publishes monthly cyber security & Awareness E-newsletter for spreading awareness and to keep the users protected from online threats, scams, attacks and fraudsters.
“Information Technology policies are essential documents that outline rules, guidelines and best practices for using technology and information systems…..”
“Various ICT related forms can be filled online to avail the services. Open-source / Institutional software can be downloaded within the Institute Network ….”
“Information and Communication Technology Terminologies is essential to know for everyone since we all are closely attached with systems, mobiles and internet. Knowing the various technical terms will enable us to understand ICT in a better way …”
National Institute of Design Assam,
Village- Tocklai, Post Office Rajabari,
Jorhat- Mariani Road, Jorhat Assam. Pin- 785 014
(on the bank Tocklai river; Landmark- near LIC Divisional Office- 200mtr)
Send an Email
Call us at
Timing: 9 AM – 5 PM
(Monday – Friday)